Gorgonzola & Basil Stuffed Chicken and Fresh Basil Seasoned Orzo
4 to 6 trimmed chicken breast (flattened)
4 tsp of crumbled gorgonzola cheese
2 ½ strips of medium cooked thick cut pepper bacon (chopped)
For seasoning chicken (per breast)
2 tsp of dried basil
¼ tsp of paprika
¼ tsp of garlic powder
Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 cup dried orzo pasta
1 tsp of dried rosemary
1 tsp of dried basil
½ tsp of garlic powder
1 – 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 – 2 large leaves of basil, cleaned & chopped
- Coat a baking dish with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Take trimmed chicken and flattened the breast evenly to a thickness of about ½ inch.
- Sprinkle the underside with about ¼ to slightly more of dried basil, lightly coat the underside of the chicken.
- Place about 1 tbsp or slightly more (to your liking) of crumbled gorgonzola cheese in the center of the breast.
- Place about 1 tbsp of coarsely chopped bacon on-top of the gorgonzola cheese.
- Roll chicken onto itself to wrap the cheese and bacon into the interior of the breast.
- Pierce the breast with about 4 to 6 clean toothpicks to keep the breast rolled.
- Place the breasts into a baking dish seam side down and sprinkle about ¼ tsp of garlic powder & paprika over the top surface of the chicken.
- Drizzle EVOO over each breast.
- Place in the oven at °350 for about 50 minutes or until the outer surface of the chicken begins to brown.
- Chicken should be °150 to °160 in the center using a meat thermometer.
- In a 5 quart sauce pan place 4 quarts of cool salted water (about 1 tsp of Kosher salt to 4 quarts of water) and season the water with 1 tsp of dried rosemary, 1 tsp of dried basil and ½ tsp of garlic powder.
- Bring the seasoned water to a boil.
- Place 1 cup of dried orzo pasta into the boiling water and reduce the temp to a light boil.
- Cook orzo pasta (stirring periodically) for 7 to 9 minutes for Al Dente.
- Drain the orzo pasta and place back into the sauce pan.
- Drizzle the orzo pasta with 1 to 2 tbsp of EVOO.
- Take chopped basil and blend into the cooked orzo pasta.
- Remove toothpicks and place breast on serving plate.
- If cheese sauce remains, spoon sauce over breast.
- Sprinkle with a few crumbles of gorgonzola cheese.
- Add about 1 large serving spoon of cooked seasoned orzo past next to the chicken.
- Garnish the orzo and chicken with a sprig of fresh/cleaned basil leaves.
Side Serving Suggestions: Sliced and buttered Italian or French bread; Green Beans & Roasted Red Peppers in Garlic Butter Sauce;