We at the CTK look for tasteful and style twists to present non-traditional dishes. This particular side dish combines the sweet grilled bitternes that is derived from grilled-carmalized Radichio, along with the roast char flavor of seasoned cucumber and prosciutto grilled to perfection. You may never had thought of grilling this type of salad but when paired with what we have listed below, you may never go back to a green salad.
Our Grilled Cucumber & Prosciutto salad pairs up nicely with beef and its a great way to add a side vegetable to add a contrasting flavor without over powering the palate.
Serving Size: One leaf of radichio with a half cup to cup of cucumber salad mix
Servings in recipe: 8 to 10
- 1 head of radichio lettuce (separated, washed, and dried)
- 3 to 4 slices of best cut prosciutto
- 3 to 4 slices of sharp provalone (sliced into 1/2 in strips)
- 2 to 3 large cucumbers (washed and halved)
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 1 cup of halved grape tomatoes
- 3 to 4 lage leaves of fresh basil (washed and strip cut)
- Drizzle of Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
- Kosher Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat your cleaned and oiled grill surface to approximately 350 degree F
- Separate and wash the leaves of the radichio, placing layers of such in between paper towel to dry. Place individual leaves sturdy enough to hold bowl shape on a sheet pan.
- Wash and halve the cucumbers, placing them on the sheet pan
- Quarter the red onion and place a quarter on the sheet pan
- Wash the basil leaves and place under paper towel to dry
- To the radichio, cumcumber, and red onion on the sheet pan drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Add the prosciutto to the pan and bring to the grill
- Place veggies and prosciutto on the grill
- Rotate the radichio to both sides and grill till a char begins to show along the edges (about 3 mintues), remove back to the sheet pan
- Rotate/flip the cucumbers and grilled till marks appear on the surface (about 3 to 4 minuntes a side), remove back to the sheet pan
- Flip the red onion to soften and char (about 3 minutes), remove to the sheet pan
- Flip the prosciutto to set grill marks on both sides (approx. 3 to 4 minutes), remove to the sheet pan
- Return to your kitchen, and let the items on the sheet pan cool to touch
- Sliver slice the basil to form thin strips
- Slice the provalone and the tomatoes
- Slice the cucumber into 1/2 inch chunks
- Dice the red onion
- Dice the prosciutto
- Combine the tomatoes, basil, provalone, red onion, cucumbers, and prosciutto into a large mixing bowl, drizzle with Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar and sprinkle with Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste.
- Place a leaf of grilled radichio on your serving plate, place a 1/2 to full cup of cucumber salad on the leaf and enjoy the combination of flavors with your favorite steak.