Have you ever wondered in a cocktail recipe what a “part” was? How about after a couple of cocktails, does the determination of a “part” increase exponentially? Here at the CTK we don’t work in parts but we do remind everyone to drink responsibility – Don’t Drink and Drive!
Our Twisted Citrus Tea Cocktail combines our recently inspired use of real maple syrup and Kentucky bourbon into a cool, mountain cocktail to be sipped on the back porch while rocking to a soul stirring set of blues, bluegrass or some foot stomping country music. Once again the folks at Harding Hill Farm provide the sweet foundation to this cocktail, while our twisted citrus flavors bring in a muddle of warming spice. The smokey bourbon lends an air of mystery. Summah time is added by a muddle of blackberries and lemon to complete the flavor profile.
Sit back, use the summah sun to brew some sweet tea. Indulge in a little bourbon and enjoy a truly mountain inspired drink!
Twisted Citrus Tea Cocktail
Serving size 1 cup over ice, Servings per Recipe 8
- 1 cup of sweet tea
Ingredients: 8 cups cold filtered water, 8 bags of spiced orange black tea (we used a black tea with orange peel, cinnamon and clove), ½ to 1 cup maple syrup, lemon oil spritz
- 2 ounces of Kentucky bourbon (we used Knob Creek for its smoky intensity)
- 1 ounce of dark or robust maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of muddled Blackberry, Lemon (about pint of fresh blackberries, zest and juice of one large lemon)
- 1 whole blackberry and a 1 lemon peel slice twist
- Add eight cups of filtered cold water to a medium sauce pan, bring to a boil over high heat
- Add eight tea bags of your favorite spiced black tea (we used one with orange peel, cinnamon and clove)
- Boil for another two minutes
- Remove the pan, add the maple syrup and stir to combine, with the tea bags left in – cover, steep the tea at least 20 minutes (for a more robust flavor steep for an hour)
- Slice the peel of a lemon and twist each peel slice over the tea to add spritz of lemon oil (about 2 to 3 twisted peel slices)
- Allow the tea to cool in the refrigerator
- To a cocktail shaker with ice add 1 cup of sweat tea, 2 ounces of bourbon, and 1 ounce of maple syrup, shake to combine
- To an old-fashioned glass or cocktail glass add two large ice cubes (or more smaller ones), add 2 tbsp of the muddled blackberry-lemon combination
- Pour the shaken citrus tea over the ice
- Garnish with a stir rod with a lemon peel slice twist and fresh blackberry
- Enjoy responsibly!
Dependent on the spice blend you choose for your black tea, if they are seasonally associated with the fall like ours consider warming the tea and bourbon and serving this cocktail as a hot toddy.
One drink, two seasons……behave!